Sep 15, 2008

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Samantha’s eyes fluttered open and she groggily focused on the LED clock screen on the bed stand next to her. Two o’clock. She stared in surprise, then laughed quietly to herself. What a night. After all, it made sense that they had slept that late.

Samantha rolled over and saw Richie sleeping next to her, sprawled out beneath the sheet, an arm flung over his face and his chest moving up and down in a slow, steady rhythm. She smiled, watching him sleep for a moment.

Inexplicably, the thought of a thousand more mornings like this one filled her mind, and Samantha caught a glimpse of the next ten, twenty, even fifty years down the road. She didn’t know how or why, and the thought and images went as quickly as they had come. But for that brief second, they were crystal clear.

Shaking her head a bit, she suddenly remembered that the band had a show that night, and realized she should probably wake Richie up so he could get to the venue on time. Oh, but she wanted to let him (and watch him) sleep some more…

She wriggled her way closer to him and kissed his bare chest, whispering, “Richie, wake up honey…” He didn’t move, and she kissed his throat lightly. He twitched slightly, then finally stirred and groaned.

He peeked out at her from beneath his arm and pouted. “Are you trying to kill me, woman?” Samantha laughed and shook her head. “No, sir, I’m actually saving your life. It’s already past two o’clock and Jon will kill you if you’re late today.”

Richie’s eyes shot open and he sat up quickly. “Oh, shit!” He jumped out of bed and searched for his jeans on the floor. “I had no idea it was this late.”

Samantha leaned back against the pillows and watched him as he located his jeans and pulled out his cell phone. “Neither did I until I woke up,” she smirked. “But I slept like a rock. And I could still sleep for another several hours.”

Richie smirked. “Me too. I’m gonna crash after the show tonight.” He flipped open his phone and grimaced. “Oy, five missed calls. I think Jon’s gonna kill me after all. Let me call him back, baby, hang on a second…”

Samantha nodded and Richie retreated into the bathroom to call back the singer. Samantha could hear him sheepishly apologizing and she tried to stifle a laugh, knowing full well that Jon was giving him a hard time on purpose.

When Richie came out, he had a towel wrapped around his waist. “Well he’s a ray of sunshine this morning…er, afternoon. I much preferred your greeting,” he smiled and leaned over the bed, planting a kiss on Samantha’s lips, then stood back up and sighed.

“As much as I don’t want to, I really need to get going, baby. I’m sorry,” he added, heading back to the bathroom. “I have to shower and head over there soon. But you’re more than welcome to go back to sleep and hang around here all day. You can order room service and sleep to your heart’s content.”

Samantha didn’t respond, but she climbed out of bed and padded after him into the bathroom. He was reaching into the spacious shower, turning on the hot water.

“But it’ll be lonely without you,” she announced. Richie turned at the sound of her voice and stared at the sight of her standing there naked. “Oy, woman,” he breathed. “You’re getting me excited all over again.”

Samantha sidled up to him and wrapped her arms around him. “Good. What do you say I join you in that shower?”

Richie groaned in the back of his throat and closed his eyes. “I’d love that, baby, but I really need to…”

He paused as Samantha began kissing his neck again, sliding her hands along his bare shoulders. “I mean, I can’t waste any time…”

“You call this a waste of time?” Samantha asked slyly, trailing her fingers down his torso to the towel around his waist. Richie sucked in a breath.

“No, but I really should get going, you know…” he tensed as Samantha loosened the towel and let it drop to the floor. “Sam, I…I need to kind of hurry…oh man…” he leaned his head back as she began stroking him.

“And Jon…he’ll…I’ll be…oh, what the hell,” Richie bent and scooped Samantha up in his arms. She instantly wrapped her legs around his waist, and, kissing fiercely, they sidestepped into the hot, steamy water.

___________________________


Later, after Richie left, Samantha called James. “Hey bro,” she greeted him as she sat down on the bed.

“Hey Sammy! What’s up?”

“Oh not much – I just wanted to let you know that, ah, Richie and I made up.”

“Really? That’s fantastic, Sam! I’m so happy for you.”

Samantha smiled. “Yeah, we talked about everything and see each other’s lives much more clearly now. I think everything’s going to be okay.”

“I knew you’d figure it out,” James replied. “You belong together.”

“Yeah, I think so too,” Samantha wrapped her robe more tightly around herself and smiled. “It feels so good to be open and honest with each other about everything now. And I feel like I can…be myself, you know? It’s a fantastic feeling.”

“Of course it is. That’s how it should be with the person you love.”

“Yeah…” Samantha trailed off, thinking about the part James had played in everything recently. Though she had been the one to achieve closure and eventually allow herself to open up, he had been the one who truly helped her through it all. He had guided her in the right direction, been there along the way for support and motivation – he had been her shoulder to cry on, the arms to hug her, the laugh when she needed it, the company when she was lonely. They had always been best friends, but now it felt as though the ties were even more strongly connected. Though they were twins and shared an uncannily similar mindset and personality, there was something thicker than blood at work here.

“James, I never could have done this without you,” she finally said quietly. “You have no idea how grateful I am for all of your advice and patience and understanding,” her voice cracked. “You’re the best brother a girl could ask for…”

“Aw, come on now, don’t get all mushy on me,” James joked. “But you’re welcome, I’m happy I could help. And I’m even happier that you two are together again.”

“I know I’ve said this before, but I’m so lucky to have you as a brother,” Samantha smiled. “And yes,” she laughed. “I am being a sap, but I want you to know that.”

“Well thank you – and the sentiment is returned, favorite sister. But listen, as much as I’d love to continue this mush-fest, I really need to finish getting ready.”

“Where are you going?”

“Ah, some party at one of Katie’s friend’s place. She does this every summer and invites her friends and their boyfriends or husbands, and Katie’s dragging me along.”

Samantha laughed. “Sounds right up your ally.”

“Oh yeah, totally,” James groaned. “It’ll be a late night.”

“Well, have fun. And tell Katie I say hi.”

“I will – and thanks for letting me know about you and Richie. I’ve been thinking about you two a lot lately.”

Samantha smiled again. “No problem. I love you, James.”

“I love you too, Sam,” James paused. “More than you could ever know.”

___________________________


Samantha whiled away the hours in the luxurious hotel room by napping, watching the plasma screen TV, and ordering room service. She didn’t change out of the thick, plush bathrobe all day, and despite the wild night, she had never felt more rested or at ease in her entire life. Worries were out the door – cares, nonexistent. She even smiled as she listened to the voicemail from Michael asking her why she wasn’t at work that day, and she plopped the phone back on the bed stand without calling him back. She’d deal with him tomorrow. Today she was free. All that mattered was that she was in love, and someone was in love with her.

As the afternoon wore on, the sky darkened and rain began to fall, beating against the panoramic windows of the hotel room. Samantha watched it, listening to the distant rumbling of thunder, and felt even more at peace. She loved summer thunderstorms.

She was plucking the last chocolate-covered strawberry from the iced bowl when Richie called to let her know he’d pick her up in the limo after the show.

“I’m still in my robe,” Samantha informed him. “I don’t have a change of clothes, so can we go back to my place, or do you need to stay here?”

“Nope,” Richie said good-naturedly. “It’s the last night for the Garden, and we have the next few days off. We can certainly go back to your place…and stay there.”

Samantha’s stomach jumped. Oh, that sounded nice. Why not just screw work all week, she thought. Take a vacation. She hadn’t had one that lasted more than a day in ages…

“Sounds lovely,” she smiled coyly. “Don’t be too late, now.”

“We take the stage soon. I’ll be there to pick you up in a few hours. Don’t go anywhere!”

Samantha laughed and they hung up.

At eleven, Samantha heard the click of the key card in the door lock and Richie entered the room, bringing the familiar smell of cologne and sweat with him. He looked fantastic in a tight black tee and equally tight jeans that sent a shiver of excitement through Samantha as she watched him.

“Well hi there, couch potato,” Richie grinned. Samantha stretched and smiled. “Hi yourself.”

Richie walked over and leaned over, kissing her softly. “The limo’s waiting outside,” he whispered. “Let’s get out of here.”

“Okay hang on, let me change into my old clothes real quick…” Samantha jumped up and started gathering her clothes off the floor.

“Okay, but only if I can watch,” Richie said slyly. Samantha smirked at him.

On the limo ride, the couple sat closely and held hands, talking happily about the concert and what they should do for the next few days together. When they arrived at Samantha’s apartment, Tommy and Gina nearly bowled them over in ecstasy.

“Remind me to thank my neighbor,” Samantha said as she hugged the dogs. “She’s been taking care of them a lot for me, lately.”

“Gotcha,” Richie stifled a yawn and smiled. “Whew, I’m beat.”

Samantha looked up at him and batted her eyelashes. “Really? Not too beat, I hope…”

Richie laughed. “Hey, you got to nap all afternoon while I had to rehearse and perform! You try having a night like we did and then having to play a two-hour concert for thousands of fans.”

Samantha smiled. “All right, all right, you win.” She sidled up to him and smiled, slowly pulling the hem of his shirt away from his jeans. Richie groaned and closed his eyes.

“You’re never gonna let me rest, are you, woman?” he tried to sound serious, but there was no mistaking the gleam in his eye and the strain down south.

Samantha shook her head. “I missed you today.”

“I missed you too…”

In a couple of seconds Richie’s shirt was off, and Samantha was half-undressed as well. Their mouths met hungrily, desperate once more to be united, and they stumbled down the hall into Samantha’s room.

Twenty minutes later they lay spent and exhausted among the sheets, holding each other, Richie running his fingers through Samantha’s hair. He whispered sweet nothings in her ear and told her he loved her, and she smiled and told him she loved him back.

“I could sleep for a week,” Richie said, nuzzling Samantha’s neck. She giggled. “Me too. I’m falling asleep right here and now.”

“Go ahead,” Richie whispered. “Go to sleep. I’ll be here. I’m not going anywhere.”
Samantha smiled and fell into a deep slumber.

____________________________


Around 2:00 AM, the phone rang, jarring them both awake. Samantha fumbled for the receiver in the darkness, trying to register what she was doing. She finally located it and held it up to her ear.

“Hello?” she answered sleepily.

“Samantha…” Sam recognized Katie’s voice, but it sounded anxious and upset. She sat up straight, suddenly wide awake.

“Katie? What’s wrong?”

There was a brief silence, and when Katie spoke again, her voice shook and she sounded on the verge of tears.

“Samantha, I’m at the hospital. It’s James…”

Samantha felt her blood run cold.


“There’s been an accident.”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh god - not James!!! Not when things are just getting good for her!! Please let him be ok.

Thanks for the great chapter!! I love this story & can't wait for more.

Colleen

Anonymous said...

NO!!!! You can't leave it here! Great job.. I was lulled into a state of peace and serenity... and then... BAM!

Already impatiently waiting for the next chapter!!!

Becky said...

Thanks girls!! I'm so glad it had that effect - it took some work to make sure it fit just right. Next chapter is coming soon, I promise.

Anonymous said...

Becky!! you stoped there!! No, James has to be ok!
more please!

love,
Heatherbonjovi

Kris said...

Don't stop here! Tell me he's ok. Great chpater, can't wait for more.