Feb 15, 2008

Chapter Two

“How the hell did you manage it?” First thing in the morning, Samantha had marched straight into her office and closed the door behind her before calling Alex.

Her friend laughed. “It’s great, isn’t it? I knew it would drive you crazy not knowing.”

Sam rolled her eyes. “You were the one who couldn’t wait more than five minutes after you said you were going to make me wait. Now dish up!!”

Alex laughed again and took a big breath. “Well,” she drawled. “You know that new guy I told you about at the office? The one with the tattoos?”

“The one your boss wasn’t going to hire because of his ‘unprofessional appearance’?” Samantha started up her computer with her free hand, mentally drooling over the faces of the band as the wallpaper loaded.

“Yeah, him. Apparently, he knows people. He’s pals with some of the tour crew for Jovi, and used to use the same equipment manager when his band did a state tour.”

“He has a band?” Samantha was mildly interested. Alex worked in Human Resources - a musician with tattoos in HR was like Arnold Schwarzenegger in Victoria’s Secret.

“Had. They broke up a few years ago. Basically only made it to opening acts for headliners, but they got their name out there. Ever heard of the Dancing Flames?”

“Um….no.”

“Well, that’s them.”

“So he just gave you two tickets? For second row?”

“He said the equipment manager owed him a favor.”

“I still don’t see how they’re such good seats. Second row is for the fan club.” Samantha was starting to get suspicious, a feeling she didn’t particularly enjoy.

“I know, I wondered the same thing.” Alex paused. “But who cares, Sam? The fact is that we have the tickets in our possession, with our seat numbers stamped on them. We’re seats 15 and 16, by the way. Stop worrying about how we got them – we’re going to see Bon Jovi!!”

Samantha chewed on the end of her pen. “That’s true. I mean, if they’re stolen or anything, we can say we didn’t know anything about it. They can’t arrest people for that, right?”

“Right. Sam, shut up.”

Samantha grinned. “Okay, okay. I’m still stoked! I’m way looking forward to this.”

“Well, duh, girlie, when do we ever not look forward to Jovi?” Alex laughed. “Listen, I gotta go. Boss man’s coming in soon and personal calls are one of the things we apparently aren’t supposed to be doing on the clock.”

Samantha smirked. “Go figure.”

“I think I just detected sarcasm. But I’m not sure. I love you, you nut.”

“Ditto babe.”

Samantha returned the phone to the receiver just as a knock sounded at her door.

“It’s open!” she called.

Margaret, her secretary, popped her head in.

“Oh, hi Marge! Any messages?”

Margaret shook her head. “No, Miss West, I’m just letting you know that your 9:30 meeting has been cancelled.”

Samantha breathed a sigh of relief. “Oh, good. Maybe now I can get some work done and get out of here early. Thanks Marge!”

“You’re welcome, Miss West,” the forever-stressed secretary backed out of the office and returned to her desk.

Samantha turned back to her phone and dialed a number: James answered on the second ring.

“Hey sis!” her brother had a smile in his voice, as always. “Did you get my message last night?”

“Hey bro! Yep, I got it. What time do you want to meet on Friday?”

“Well, like I said, anytime before 3:00 is good. I have a big meeting with a possible new client.” James was an advertising executive for Lowell’s Advertising – one of the biggest advertising agencies on the east coast. They mostly dealt with women’s jewelry and accessories, and had done a set of ads for Dream a few years back, which had taken care of the ad quota for the entire year.

“Well, I can get out of here at about noon and take the rest of the day off, so how about 12:30?” Sam pulled up the digital calendar on her computer.

“Sounds good to me – where we going?”

“Where are we going? Do you seriously need to ask that?” Samantha laughed. “Where else?”

James laughed as well. “Yeah, well, I thought maybe we could finally try something different, for once.”

Samantha snorted. “Yeah, like that’ll ever happen. Red’s is tradition.”

“True. Plus, I think his calamari has become a drug to me – I have withdrawals if I go too long without it.”

Sam laughed. “You are such a nerd. Okay, Red’s at 12:30 on Friday. Good, something to look forward to.” She typed in the event on her calendar.

“You bet. I’ll see you then, ok?”

Samantha nodded. “Absolutely. Love you, bro.”

“Love you too, sis.”
__________________________________
At 12:20 on Friday, Samantha walked up to the big double doors outside Red’s Diner, right across from Rockefeller Center. A light snow was falling outside, which made the place even more crowded than usual, and the warm, heavy smell of burgers and fries greeted her as she opened the door.

James arrived exactly at 12:30, greeting Sam with a bear hug and a kiss on the cheek.

He, like her, had golden brown hair that set off his hazel eyes. He wasn’t particularly tall, but he wasn’t short either – he averaged about 5’9” without shoes. His skin was lightly tanned, giving it an even, creamy look that added to his rugged handsomeness. His shoulders were broad, his stomach and chest flat, and his waist narrow. Though not movie-star gorgeous, he usually could turn the heads of women when he walked along the streets of New York.

Now, he was wearing a pantsuit, though his shirt was untucked and his tie was loose.

“Ready to eat?”

Sam winked. “Always.”

They found a table by a window that gave them a fabulous view of the giant tree at the end of Rockefeller Plaza, and they gave their drink orders quickly.

“So,” Samantha began. “I have to tell you my big news,” she paused, knowing exactly how James was going to react to the news about Bon Jovi.

“Yes…?”

“Well, I’m going to have to cut Christmas Eve dinner a bit short this year. Alex got us tickets to see Bon Jovi at Madison Square Garden.”

“You have got to be kidding me.” James laughed. “They’re playing on Christmas Eve? What about their families? You’re always telling me that they’re true-to-their-roots family guys.”

Sam rolled her eyes. “They are. But it’s a special VIP thing, not a normal tour concert or anything.” She scanned the menu quickly and decided on her usual – grilled chicken sandwich with ranch dressing and bacon. “To be honest, I was a bit surprised they were playing too – I mean, Jon’s got a wife and four kids, and David and Tico each have wives and kids too. Richie’s the only childless bachelor – so I’m sure he didn’t care either way!”

“How did Alex get tickets if it’s a VIP thing?”

“I talked to her about that on Wednesday. She left me a message the night before too, so I called her in the morning to find out how she got them. Apparently a friend at work is connected.”

“Sweet. Well, should be fun. I mean, I’m not crazy about the fact that you won’t be there all night, but at least you’ll be having fun.”

“Well, yeah, but you’ll have Katie, won’t you?” Sam met his eyes. “You told me she’s going to be here for Christmas, right?” Katie was James’ girlfriend of two years.

James nodded. “Yeah, that’s true. She decided to spend Thanksgiving at her parents’ in Chicago, and Christmas here with me. She’s coming to Mom’s on Christmas Day, too – you’re be there then, right?”

“Oh, of course! Christmas is still my time to be with family.” She smiled at him. “Even if they don’t understand my Jovi addiction.”

James smirked at her.

The server then brought their drinks and took their meal orders – James ordered his usual calamari and a Caesar salad; Samantha the burger.

“To be perfectly honest, I’m kind of glad I’m going to the concert on Christmas Eve,” Samantha confessed. James raised an eyebrow.

“I just mean, Christmas Eve has been a bit hard for me the last few years, you know? It’s so different from Christmas Day – that’s when everyone is around and it’s all family and I’m with people I love. But Christmas Eve is quiet, romantic, intimate…and I don’t have anyone to share that with.”

James put on a look of mock insult. “But, what about me?”

Sam punched him in the arm. “You know what I mean.”

James laughed. “Yes I do.” He looked at her with his soft hazel eyes. “I do know what you mean, sis, really I do. And I understand the feeling. I kinda felt that way before Katie, when you and I used to do Christmas Eve with Riley and Scott.” He was referring to a couple James and Samantha had known since they were teenagers. They used to all have Christmas Eve together before the couple married and moved to Washington.

“Yeah, but now it’s just the three of us. And we’re older now. And it just makes me realize that I’m not getting any younger…” Samantha paused again. “As much as I love my life right now – my job, my family, my friends – I have to confess that I still want to fall in love again. I never saw myself living my entire life as a single woman, and I still want to get married someday. I just haven’t found the right guy yet.”

James reached across the table and took her hand.

“Sam, listen to me. You are a beautiful, bright, intelligent woman with a big heart and infectious personality. You work hard and you’re dedicated and loyal. Any man would be lucky to even get a date with you, and the one you marry is going to be the most blessed man in the world.” He smiled. “Aside from me, of course, because I’m your brother, and therefore am the number one man in your life.”

Samantha laughed. “Yes, you are.”

“But I’m serious, Sam. You’re going to find the perfect guy. And when you do, it’ll be so worth the wait.”

Samantha reached over and placed her other hand on top of her twin’s.

“Thanks, James. I hope you’re right.”

James squeezed her hand. “I know I am.”

1 comment:

Alina said...

Oh, how cute they are. It is great to have someone who understands you =)

Great chapter, love to read your story!