Aug 20, 2008

Chapter Twenty-Seven

Night two at Madison Square Garden started out the exact same way as night one. Jon, though slightly less uptight, still stomped around assuring everything was going right; Tico and Dave worked with the stage manager; and Richie kept to himself, quietly going over chord progressions and key changes on a sofa backstage. Though he still maintained the decision to hold out on Samantha until she figured out her problems, he missed her more than ever now. And the more he tried not to think about it, the harder it became. Though he didn’t want to admit it – for fear of following the same path Heather led him down years ago – his heart was breaking.

Richie heard footsteps in the hallway, and Jon entered the room. “Soundcheck,” he announced, and he started to back away, then stopped. He considered the guitarist for a moment, searching him with those blue eyes that made Richie feel as though he were being x-rayed. Finally, he sighed and walked over to the sofa quietly. “What’s up, man?”

Richie shook his head. “Nothing, I’m fine. Just going over some stuff.”

Jon raised his eyes. “Look, dude, enough of this lying shit. Brave faces don’t work with friends.”

Richie half-smiled. “I know. I’m just trying not to think about it because it drives me crazy. And if I just ignore it…”

“It goes away?” Jon finished his sentence for him and flopped down on the sofa next to him. “But does it really go away, Rich?”

“It would if you wouldn’t question me about it,” Richie laughed.

“Look, I know you’re hurting. We all know. And I don’t blame you, to be honest. It’s not an easy situation. But as I’ve said before, people make mistakes. They’re not perfect. We’re all fucked up in one way or another, and we do stupid things and we let ourselves get involved in even stupider things and then we can’t let go and refuse to learn from them. But then sooner or later, we meet someone – someone who’s dealing with crap too and doesn’t how to fix it. And we learn from each other, and we grow, and we help each other fix things and move on. And we’re all the better for it.” Jon looked at Richie again.

Richie sighed. “Can you tell her that?”

Jon laughed. “Give her time. She’ll figure it out.”

“That’s what I’ve been waiting for,” Richie snorted.

“Wait a little bit longer. She’s got skeletons in the closet, and they don’t go away in a hurry.”

Richie didn’t say anything.

Jon stood up. “Come on, we’ve gotta go. You got a job to do.”

Richie rubbed his face and stood up too. As they headed out, an idea came to him. “Hey, Jon – do we have some room in the setlist for a change?”

Jon looked at him quizzically. “Sure, we can switch one of the fillers. Why? Anything in mind?”

Richie thought for a minute. “Yeah. And we’re gonna need to rehearse for this one.”

______________________________

Samantha glanced at the clock anxiously as she slipped into a pair of flip-flops. Six-thirty. She had rushed straight home from work and changed as quickly as possible, but she was still racing the clock and getting worried. She had barely been able to concentrate on work that day, wondering how in the world to get a hold of Richie when he was in the middle of a string of shows. She didn’t want to call him; this had to be done in person. And it had to be done right. There was only one way she could think of, and this was why she was in a hurry.

She called a cab, raced into the bathroom and brushed her teeth, filled the dogs’ food bowls, grabbed her purse and keys, and hurried downstairs.

______________________________

Jon had stared at him like he was crazy when Richie had suggested it, but after explaining, Jon shook his head and got a member of sound crew to write down the lyrics to tape on the stage floor. They had never performed the song live, but Richie wanted to do it tonight, and it felt fitting. Jon just prayed they wouldn’t screw it up.

They took their places backstage at eight thirty, and as the house lights went out and the arena exploded into a deafening roar, Richie felt the familiar energy of a live show seep into his veins. He couldn’t ignore it; it was with him before and during every single show he had performed in his entire career. It was the reason he –and the rest of the band – kept touring. But tonight he knew nerves were mingling with the familiar anticipation.

They made their dramatic entrance out of the shadows and Richie glanced out at the thousands of flashing lights and pinpricks from cell phones blinking out of the darkness. The sight made him even more nervous, and he looked down at his guitar before hearing Jon in his earpiece, counting out two, three, four…

They exploded into action, the stage lights bursting to life and illuminating them, as well as the front part of the crowd, which had increased their screams and cheers tenfold as the band launched into Lost Highway. They performed it flawlessly, and for a few moments, Richie allowed himself to get lost in the music and forget about everything else.

They moved routinely through the rest of the show: Lost Highway tunes, classics, Jon’s ad-libbing and flirting with the crowd, and Richie even laughed and joked a bit with him. The audience was as fantastic as the night before, and for the most part, Richie was able to put Samantha on the back-burner. Until the encore.

They left the stage after the main set, in their customary way to change quickly and keep the crowd screaming for more. When they returned a few minutes later, Jon nodded at Richie. Nerves fluttered back into his stomach, but he looked down at his guitar to focus on the chords and concentrate on not screwing up. He was the one who had suggested this song after all, and Jon had been good enough to approve it, even though Richie knew he hated performing material they had never performed before. Especially on such short notice.

To complement the ambience of the song, the stage lights dimmed and the band was in semi-darkness. A soft blue light shone on Jon, but Richie was thrown into shadow, which he was actually grateful for. He took a deep breath and listened to Jon count down quietly in his earpiece, then began to play the gentle riff. He heard Dave strike the soft chords on the keyboard, and he kept in time with him. Emotions flooded him, and his heart twisted at the sentiment of the song.

Though she wasn’t there to hear it, this song was for her.

_________________________

The slow, beautifully haunting chords flowed out over the crowd, and Samantha’s heart stopped. That song…it was so familiar, but if it was what she was thinking, it was impossible. They had never played it live before.

She stared up at the stage, mouth slightly open. The shadows moved mysteriously and beautifully across Richie’s features, and though secluded by their darkness, she could sense the emotion in his face. Jon was standing still at the mic, his hands grasping the handle and his eyes focused on the floor in front of him. A piece of paper with words. It couldn’t be…could it?

Before Samantha could think anything else, Jon began to sing: slowly, hauntingly, his voice raw and mysterious, sending shivers up Samantha’s spine and forcing her to look away.

Are you out there?
Can you hear me?
Do you know my whereabouts?
Do you know what I'm all about?


Samantha couldn’t believe it. She had been right. It was Satellite, her favorite song of theirs. The one so epic and beautiful that it moved her to tears the first time she heard it. The infamous treasure that had never been released on a studio album and never been performed live, but had shown up in the box set, a track dragged out and dusted off from their 25-year-old vault.

Through the static
You're so close, so far away
Are you listening?
I'm desperate
Sending out an S.O.S.
'Cause I'm lost, I must confess
Throw a lifeline
I'm down here drowning
In the deepest part of me

Samantha felt the tears sting her eyes as her heart twisted and turned. The lyrics were so…so meaningful…and so true now. They were beautiful before, but they had been someone else’s song. Now they were hers. And Richie’s.

Satellite…
Can you feel me?
Satellite…
Come and heal me
Are you watching over me tonight
I need to know you're out there
Satellite…
Are your lines open and receiving
You know I got so much to say
I just don't want to fade away
Keep on talking, 'cause you're keeping me alive


Samantha never took her eyes off of Richie, though her vision blurred as the tears cascaded down her face. She had been so stupid, so blind, all along…when the truth had been right in front of her. Her heart had been trying to tell her, but her brain had locked it up to protect it. It had been a battle of insecurity and fear. And now those walls had been broken down and everything was open and free and she wanted nothing more than to pour out her soul to the only man she had ever truly loved…and the only man who had ever truly loved her in return.

Everybody hurts
Everybody cries
Everybody needs someone
To save them sometimes
Satellite…


As they faded to the end and Richie moved his fingers slowly across the strings, he looked up into the crowd.

And right into Samantha’s eyes.

Her heart skipped a beat, and an electric shock passed through her, reminiscent of the one that had jolted her on Christmas Eve when she had looked into those eyes for the first time. His gaze was unreadable, though she distinctly saw pain and sadness…and this time she knew why. The lights faded to black, and applause rang out, with cheers and catcalls from people Samantha knew must be fan club members. No one else knew that song.

Jon thanked the crowd for coming, and as the roar in the arena grew louder, the band members bowed and blew kisses and retreated behind the stage. The house lights came on, and people began moving toward the exits. Samantha fought through the swarm and up to the stage, where she found who she had been hoping to find: Mac, the security guard.

“Mac!” she hurried up to him. “You probably don’t remember me, but I’m one of the women you brought backstage to meet Richie on Christmas Eve. My name’s Samantha…” she realized as she said it that she sounded foolish. Mac raised an eyebrow, then comprehension dawned on his face.

“Yes, Richie’s Samantha, of course,” he smiled. “Why aren’t you backstage with them?”

“That’s actually where I need to get to,” Samantha smiled, relieved that he recognized her. “I came separately tonight.”

Mac cocked his head to one side. “Really?”

“Yeah – can you let me back there, please?”

Mac still looked confused, but seemed to think better than to question her. “Of course, follow me,” he led her to the same side door as before and into the inner hallway. “I need to stay out there, but they should be in the dressing room,” he pointed down the hallway. “If they don’t know you’re here, I’d hurry, because they might head straight out to the limo.”

“Thanks, Mac,” Samantha smiled and turned down the hallway, praying they were still here. She turned the corner into the dressing room and found them inside, changing shirts and toweling off. The sight of Jon shirtless threw her off guard for a minute, but it was the sight of Richie’s bare abs again that sent her heart racing. All five men turned and looked at her.

“Samantha, hi sweetie,” Jon came over and kissed her cheek, hoping to break the awkwardness and keep things neutral. “Did you enjoy the show?”

“It was great,” she smiled nervously.

Jon nodded. “We’ll leave you two alone,” he said pointedly, then he, Tico, Dave, and Hugh retreated through the opposite door.

Samantha looked at Richie, who looked back at her with such strong emotions in his eyes that she nearly broke down.

“Hi Sam,” he said quietly. “Do you want to sit down?”

Samantha shook her head. “I’m fine, thanks. I wanted to talk to you.”

Richie pulled a shirt over his head. “Are you all right?”

Samantha didn’t say anything at first. “You played Satellite,” she pointed out unnecessarily.

Richie nodded, still looking at her.

“It was beautiful,” she whispered.

“It was for you,” Richie replied quietly.

They stood there in silence for a minute, before Samantha could hardly stand it any longer. “Richie…” she began.

He looked at her.

“I’m so sorry,” she finally breathed, feeling the tears coming. “Oh God, I’m so sorry. I never meant to hurt you. I was so wrong…so wrong to hide it and treat you the way I did…you are the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I’m such an idiot for never seeing it before.”

Richie looked at her, and she kept talking, though the tears were now falling freely down her face. “I am so sorry for everything, you have no idea…you mean everything to me and you were right, I was shutting people out because I was hurt and bruised in the past, but I didn’t think I had the strength to move on and get over it. And you…you were the one who taught me – showed me – that I did…and you taught me to fall in love again. I’ve just never been brave enough to admit it.”

Richie moved toward her, watching her and letting her pour out her emotions, knowing without question that she was sincere. As he reached her, she looked up at him with tear-streaked eyes. “I love you, Richie. I’ve always loved you. You mean the world to me and I can’t imagine living my life without you…”

She fell into him, her heart feeling as though a heavy pressure had been lifted, and hoping desperately that he believed her. She had never wanted for anyone to believe her more deeply than she did now. It was so important.

Richie pulled her against him tightly, wrapping his arms firmly around her body as if afraid she’d pull away again. He closed his eyes and fought back the tears, his heart exploding in sheer joy and overwhelming emotion, the very touch of her sending shivers up his spine and reassuring him that this was real. “I love you too, Samantha,” he whispered into her ear, and he felt her sigh as she wrapped her arms around him and buried her face in his chest.

She was his, heart and all, no strings attached, closet skeletons banished…heart mended. Finally. She had battled her demons, she had dared to love again. He held her closer and tighter, refusing to let her go.

He was never going to let her go.

12 comments:

Cindy aka Miss Moose said...

Thank you Becky. I am now in tears. I love this chapter. It's not the end yet is it? I hope not. I love this story.

Miss Moose

Anonymous said...

Wow - Satellite. Perfect song for them. Great chapter - so emotional. I hope they can move forward now and build a great life together.

Love this story. You're writing is awesome. The story flows wonderfully. Thanks for sharing!!

Colleen

Becky said...

Aww thank you both! I'm so glad it came off well, since it had been so long since the last chapter, I was a bit rusty.

And Cindy, no, it's not the end yet. :)

Cindy aka Miss Moose said...

Thanks Becky. I am very glad of that. I need my Richie fixes ya know!!!

Anonymous said...

Becky that chapter was beautiful!!!!!

Don'tell anyone but I teared up as well shhhhhh.

Very very glad to hear its not the end.

And thank you xx

Shelly said...

Phew I thought like Cindy the story was over...

It's so good Becky!!

Can't wait for more hon!

Becky said...

Thanks everyone! No, it's not the end yet, I have plenty more that's been planned since the beginning. ;) Chapter 28 *should* be up this weekend! (I hope!)

richiesambora said...

I've bookmarked for blog a couple of weeks ago. But for some previous unknown reasons I started just yesterday with reading your story.
Now I'm glad I started reading that late because otherwise I would have had to wait way to long for chapter 27. ;-P
This is such a great story and I loooooove it sooo much.
And I am really happy that this is not the end of the story. I'm looking forward for the next chapters.
Btw, you made me listen to the boxset again because I couldn't remember the song Satellite *shameonme*
Like Colleen said this song is perfect for Rich&Sam.
Jeeez, I should have stopped my cd-player because now I'm listening to "if I can't have your love". Another perfect song for them ;-)

~Andy

Becky said...

Aww, thank you Andy! That's so sweet. Satellite has always been a favorite of MINE, and when I went to incorporate it into the story, I realized that the lyrics fit perfectly with the situation, so it made it an even more perfect choice. :)

'Love' was another choice I had though, definitely! I love that song.

Anonymous said...

I am bawling my eyes out. Satellite what an emotional song. Samantha pouring her heart out to Richie and Richie does love her, but, now Samantha has admitted how she feels about Richie. I see Samantha and Richie picking up where they left off.

Good Story, Becky!!!! Keep writing!

Becky said...

Thank you so much!

I'm so glad you are enjoying the story. :)

Sambora_Wanted said...

Oh my gosh, Becky, I've cried through this entire chapter!